Spit (with or without blood) in the eye

Hello Dr,

I am very well aware of the huge number of questions in respect of the transmission of HIV through saliva entering the eyes, however, I felt that I could provide additional information, so as to avoid the answer being merely a reiteration of the same principle. Anyhow, here is the 'issue':

Last night I have been walking down the street around 2 am. From the opposite direction a young, male person (in early 20s in my estimation) was about to pass by. When he was right beside me, but probably even slightly before that, he spat out, making a sound that immediately led me to say 'Whoa, shrapnel spit!' to myself. It was buckshot-like kind of spit. The person must have been in 0 to 30 degrees with me, my left shoulder facing the side of his. A mild wind was blowing toward the direction he was walking. Now, I could not tell whether his saliva (with or without blood) entered my eye or mouth (it has been raining very slightly, so I had no way of telling a drop of rain from a drop of spit). This all happened on campus, so I suspect the person was a student (whatever that may entail), he was wearing very little clothing considering the temperature. (a T-shirt in approximately 10-12 degrees celsius) However, he had the decency (I presume) to delay spitting until we were not facing each other straight. In any event, it is hard to judge someone's character based on so little information, I know, but I thought it could still be relevant. I never had blood enter my eyes, so I am unaware as to how it feels or whether a substantive amount of blood turns the vision red, I really have no clue.

Once I arrived at my dwelling, I refrained from activities which require the extensive use of facial muscles and may disturb my eyes, with the exception of checking the state of my eyes, with what little (none) expertise I have, by pulling away the lower eyelid and looking for an answer to this very same issue. Afterwards, I went straight to bed. I also have health anxiety and take light medication.

I know, Dr Bob, that you are a busy person and that you may or may not answer the question based on its merits. In any case, I raise my hat to you, among other things, for your efforts to dispel the myths and far-fetched theories the likes of me come up with.

Thank you

Your HIV-acquisition risk from the "shrapnel spit" is nonexistent.

Your concerns are unwarranted. Your problem is your "health anxiety," not HIV.

Gosh what is it with all the spit questions today? Your's is the third in a row. (See below)

Saliva and Anal sex Nov 21, 2009

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I have contacted everyone with this question (including the CDC) and no one has been able to give me a clear answer. The question is: what is the risk of HIV transmission from one male to another (anal sex), with the use of a condom, but if saliva is used rather than a lubricant? Assuming, the condom does not rip/tear, can the receiver still get HIV from the inserters saliva?

Saliva that does not contain visible blood is not considered a risk for HIV transmission. Therefore, assuming there was no visible blood in the saliva, the HIV transmission risk would be essentially nonexistent.

paranoid husband over spit in the eye (PART II) LAST POST HERE DR BOB Nov 21, 2009

hello dr bob,

its me again spit boy from saudi arabia..thank you for your previous answer to me and to my wife...but there a mistake with my question...

the guy spit on my face with small blood and pleghm..i wiped the saliva by my finger due that there is no available tissue that time and the finger that i used to wiped the saliva thats the finger that i rubbed in my eyes...

question...

1. im still in hiv risk (Rubbed the eyes with my finger with saliva) assuming that guy is a hiv positive?

please dr bob...i just want to come back to my normal life i cant focus now with my work and my family...yoour the only one who can save me...

First you thought the dude hacking up loogies was gay and now you're assuming he's "virally enhanced" as well? Saudi Arabian Guy, don't you think you're being excessively paranoid about this unappetizing incident? I certainly do.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is so remote it's essentially nonexistent. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your (unwarranted) worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative, but if that's what it takes for you to put these irrational fears permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort.

PLEASE ANSWER (TWO TIME I DONATED) I DESERVED SOME ANSWER DR BOB Nov 18, 2009

Dear Dr Bob...

Im driving a car and im smoking inside my car accidentally some saudi gay spit out saliva, white pleghm and blood directly in my face in a distance of 2meters...and a small hit my eyes and after that i paniced so i rubbed my eyes..

symptoms:

Headache for more than 3 days after two days of exposure..

Question..

1. In my case a small amount of saliva , phlegm and blood will put me in hiv risk assuming the person is hiv positive? 2. what is the amount of blood needed to put yourself in hiv risk? 3. in your expertise i need a test? 4. my risk is high risk or low risk?

please answer dr bob..

How did you know the guy in the other car was gay? Was there a rainbow flag flying on the antenna?

Responding to your specific concerns:

1. Your HIV-acquisition risk from this incident is so remote that it's essentially nonexistent.

2. There is no specific amount.

3. No.

4. Essentially nonexistent.

Experimenting with Masturbation (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS, 2009) (PILLOW POUNDING, PILLOW HUMPING, 2009)
You are such a beautiful man...