Acute HIV or random Virus ? - Will donate -

Hi doc,

I had a sexual encounter a little over two weeks ago with a partner of unknown status, during which I engaged in protected anal sex as the receptive partner, and in UNprotected insertive oral sex.

Now I'm stuck with fever, I'm dead tired, I'm not hungry, I cough alot and it sorta hurts when I breathe deeply - basically I feel like crap.

What I'm asking is do you think this could be ARS or does it sound like I just have some other infection ?

Thanks, and I'll donate to your foundation :)

Take care, and much love !

"Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The reason to worry or get HIV tested should be based on risk exposure not the presence or lack of symptoms.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is very low. Protected sex is indeed "protected" if the latex or polyurethane condom was used properly and did not fail (break). Unprotected insertive oral sex carries only a very slight risk for HIV acquisition.

My advice would be to get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this sexperience.

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test is negative. I strongly suspect it indeed will be negative.

Worried, what should I have them look for?
scared of hiv infection