Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Just Donated to RJFAF, can you help me please?
Nov 18, 2009

Doctor,

I just donated to your Foudation and I was hoping you could answer my question.

I shower at the gym a lot (more than at home) in downtown NYC. Lately, I have had athelete's foot and some skin peeling and redness. On the front 2-3mm below nail line the edge of my toes (next to the big one) I have very small healing cut (maybe 0.5x2mm) from peeling some of the scaling skin a bit too much that I don't believe was bleeding but I am not sure. I also have other peeling red but not bleeding athelete's foot on my toes.

After the experience, I squeezed the toe cut a it and could not draw any blood. On the kleenex, there was a little clear fluid the size of maybe pinhead where the scab was.

After showering recently, I had a panic attack because I fearful that I possibly contracted HIV. I know men in my gym likely often 'relieve' themselves in the private showers stalls at times, meaning semen could easily be on the floor. I didn't see any blood (whcih likely would have scared me and I would not have gotten in.)

I am scared and sadly, some of my fear my have something to do with the fact that 50% of the men at my gym are gay and maybe at greater risk. My mother is a gay woman, so please understand that I am not a homophobe (the law passed in my home state of Maine recently disgusts me) but since gay men are the highest risk group this heightens my fears.

Is there a risk for exposure and infection in this scenario? Would this merit testing or am I being paranoid/OCD-like?

Thank you so much for your great work.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your fears are unwarranted. HIV testing is not medically indicated. I'd suggest you get your athlete's foot treated and wear flip-flops or shower sandals while using the communal showers.

Be well. See you at the bench press!

Dr. Bob

Previous
will donate. Please help me deal with my wife's unreasonable concerns
Next
Hey doc it's Zed again..Please approve me.....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.