nurse made a big mistake

Dr Bob, Is it possible to get hiv or hepatitis by sharing rectal thermometers. A nurse took my sons temperature in the hospital rectally and forgot to cover the thermometer before she inserted it. There was no visible blood that I saw at least on the thermometer. I think that normally this thermometer is used in the armpit, but my sons reading was inaccurate so the nurse decided to take a rctal temperature, and she simply forgot. I am very very concerned and dont know who else to turn to. Do u think I should have my child tested at some point. I would hate to have him tested unnecessarily. Please answer me. I cannot find any similar questions in the archives. I really appreciate all the work that you do and will donate to your charity for your time. thanks.

I agree the nurse made a mistake; however, the HIV or hepatitis risk is essentially nonexistent. Testing and/or worry are not warranted.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated.

Be well.

chances...
Honest confession Please read entirely Begging for forgiveness