When I Grow Up...

Dr. Frascino,

I just wanted to drop a line to say that you are my idol. I have been working as a community health educator and HIV testing counselor for 5 years and make sure to visit your forum as frequently as I am able.

When I first started in this line of work I was very young (21) and intimidated by the vast amount of information I would have to know to do my job effectively. Fortunately I have been able to use this site over time as a resource to get scientifically accurate, up-to-date information on a variety of topics.

I appreciate your consistency, honesty and humor when addressing questions posed on the site. I have gleaned so much good information from tracking your forum, and have shared a good deal of laughter at your responses on occasion when dealing with individuals describing no-risk scenarios or asking questions that never die.

Your work on this site has had a great influence on how I do my job. Although I chose a non-medical degree field and will never be a doctor; am a self-taught substitute church pianist and no virtuoso; and answer my questions in high school classrooms in the midwest and not on the world's leading HIV website; I always say around the clinic that "I wanna be like Dr. Bob when I grow up!" lol.

Thank you for all you do.

~Midwest Preventioneer

Hi Midwest Preventioneer,

Thank you for your very kind comments. You made my day (and I was having a really great day even before I read your post!). It's always comforting to know the thousands of words I type and send into cyberspace (as well as the thousands of hours I spend reading questions and crafting responses) actually have an impact on the real world beyond the single questioner freaked out about nibbling on the silicone-enhanced bodacious ta-tas attached to a Bouncing Buella at the local Badda Bing.

By disseminating scientifically sound HIV/AIDS prevention information, you essentially have grown up to be a "Dr. Bob." More importantly, you may well have also saved a life! I'm delighted to consider you a colleague.

Nemaste!

Routine blood work can't show hiv disease?
Sexual drive............