You went from Saint to Sinner

Dr. You answered a guy who wrote about his oral sex with his partner on November 13 "oral transmission". The one giving oral has HIV. You said his partner should test at 3 TO 6 months. WHY??? You always say insertive oral sex is not dangerous. I had a 4 month test and you said conclusive. Why do you keep changing your mind. Is it conclusive or do I have to go back at 6 months. Is insertive oral sex dangerous or not??? You say no now you are changing your mind again. HELP

Rather than saint or sinner, what I really am is a scientist. My advice remains very consistent. I have not said "oral sex is not dangerous!" What I've said is that insertive oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. I stand by that assessment.

I still consider your four-month negative test, based on the information you provided, to be definitive. If for whatever reason you remain worried, the option to get a six-month test is always open to you. Personally, I don't feel it's warranted and I'm very confident the results should you decide to re-test would again be negative.

Fingering and HIV - Legitimate Question
Follow-up to Non-progressors