Last Donation Ref (XXXXXXXXXXXX) Risk of hiv by Vacutainer Blood Collection System

Please Doctor BOB My anxiety its Killing Me. When i went to take my test for my past interocuorse the nurse use a vacutainer System. As you know The Vacutainer System consists of a pointed needle, a plastic holder or adapter and a series of vacuum tubes with rubber stoppers of various . The Vacutainer needle has a sharp point at both ends, and usually is covered by a rubber sheath, with one end being shorter than the other. The Vacutainer holder is a plastic sleeve into which the phlebotomist screws the pointed Vacutainer needle.Vacutainer tubes are glass tubes sealed with a vacuum inside by rubber stoppers. The air inside the tube is negative, less than the environment. Ok this is the situation, the needle of course was NEW, the tube of course was New but the HOLDER was resuable. I saw a very small dried blood exactly on the the part that you screw the the double pointed Vacutainer needle. in theory there vas no risk because the needle is new but y need to hear your advice.

The plastic holders are indeed reusable and pose absolutely no threat of transmission of blood-borne pathogens, such as HIV or hepatitis. The way that the disposable needles are placed into the plastic holder precludes any chance of contamination. The needles are sheathed (covered) when they are loaded into the plastic holder. Your fears are completely unwarranted. If indeed your "anxiety is killing (you)", you should get treatment for that condition! Anti-anxiety medication and/or psychotherapy (counseling) can be very helpful.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation.

Be well. Stop worrying! You can not contract HIV/AIDS from getting your blood drawn!

Please Dr. Bob -- Re-look at my issue one last time -- I missed some information. Lifetime commitment of donations to Foundation.
big mistake in san fran_need more advice please.