Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

City Council Woman - Scared - Will Donate and Support - Please Help!
Nov 13, 2009

Dear Dr. Frascino,

I am a first time reader and believe I will be a multiple time donator. I did some reading this morning and believe in your Foundation.

Where do I start? Let me paint this situation. I am running for City Council so I attend a lot of Networking events. I shake a lot of hands. I also play the guitar so I am a lady who really doesn't have fingernails. ( I know, attractive huh :) ). I cut one of my finger nails too far back to where it stings. Also on the same finger, while working on my cuticles, pushed the cuticle so far back that it also hurts. I think it bled a little bit. I was at a Networking Event last night and shook a lot of peoples hands. After waking up this morning, my finger hurt. I examined my finger and it put me into extreme anxiety. I see that my cuticle had dry blood all around the back of it. I do not know when, where, or how this happened but I obviously pushed it back too far. From the point of me working on my finger yesterday morning, now my mind start thinking of all the hands I shook last night at the Event. Did somebody have any nicks, cuts, scratches, scrapes, or abrasions on their hands? As I am running for office I shake and have shook a lot of hands last night. I don't know if anybody had anything (HIV). I cannot possibly talk to anybody as there were so many people there, and I met most of them for the first time and have no contacts. I would not know how to get a hold of anybody. Now the HIV scare. What are the chances that I could catch HIV this way? Do I need to get tested? I just got the results from my last test a couple days ago and I am Neg. Did this ruin the test? What is the risk of any HIV transmission in this way? My mind is going crazy. I am very scared. Could you please help me as I will make donations to your Foundation and teach others about your site as well. Please direct me to where I can donate. Also Dr Frascino, please think of every situation as you assess my incident of any type of exposure.

Thank You, Mariah

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mariah,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. HIV testing is not warranted. If HIV were transmitted that easily (handshake with a damaged cuticle), it would have wiped out the planet long ago.

I'd suggest you continue to peruse the wealth of information on this site, in its archives and on the related links. You should find the information here equally enlightening and reassuring.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Good luck with your run for city council.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral sex transmission
Next
Inconclusive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.