Follow up question...

Hi Dr. Bob,

It's Mr. Liberal who posted the '20 minute oral rapid test vs. blood test' accuracy question the other day.

Anxiety put off my testing until this week, but I now have the time set to go in tomorrow (Wednesday afternoon) for the Orasure 'gum swabbing' test.

Question is: When you refer to extenuating circumstances, what would a few primary examples of those be? Im at 14.5 weeks post exposure and am hoping that will suffice.

Just to note: I did a bit of unprotected rimming to a very possible, but unknown status individual. Receptive BJ to me was protected - no other antics. This was the only possible sexual exposure over the past year. Don't use needles or controlled substances, so I guess it's safe to say the only exposure.

Again, Neg. Elisa at 4 weeks and Neg. Oral gum-swab test at 7.5 weeks. I wouldn't be throwing my arms up if it wasnt for the fact of having flu-like symptoms a month after. I'm hoping those symptoms were the incredible stress and anxiety I was having over the situation.

Also, you're not going to believe this - of all the times - when I was walking to the test center for my 7.5 week test, I scratched the hell out of my leg by accidentally scraping against a pair of metal handlebars from a bike lying on the sidewalk. It bled for a short bit - went into the bathroom of a deli and grabbed a paper towel with hot water to clean the cut. Beyond that, my leg and cut had no contact with anything (other than air). I don't want to be ridiculous as I know HIV only lives outside the body for a short amount of time, but then again, I did walk into an HIV testing site with kind of an open wound. I think it dried up rather quickly, but may have still been a little wet. Again, I have no recollection of rubbing up against anything or my leg coming into contact with anything.

All anxiety aside, I'm dropping the fly and going in manana to get the HIV OraSure swab test done. Please wish me luck, and in turn I'll be doing a deep meditation tonight that a cure will soon be on the horizon for all in need. Got a funny feeling that we'll be seeing it sooner than later...

Hopping over to your foundation website right now to donate some dollars.

Once again, thanks for your compassion, thoughts and brilliant feedback!

Free Healthcare to ALL!

-Mr. Liberal

Hello Mr. Liberal,

There are a number of extenuating circumstances that may interfere with HIV screening, including agammaglobulinemia, autoantibodies, HIV vaccines, cross-reacting nonspecific antibodies, immunosuppressive drug therapy, radiation treatment, etc. There are also certain types of exposures that require testing out to the six-month mark according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These would include occupational exposures for health care workers, folks with concurrent acute hepatitis C infection and those who sustained a significant HIV exposure to a partner confirmed to be HIV infected. Please note, none of these situations applies to you. Your 14.5-week test will provide a definitive result.

Your leg scrape on the way to get tested did not pose an increased risk.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending an extra dose of my good-luck karma that your conclusive and definitive 14.5-week test remains negative. I'm extremely confident it will. I'll look forward to WOO-HOO-ing with you tomorrow!

Rapid 20 minute OraQuick Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Frascino,

Instead of having blood drawn, can I go for the OraQuick 20 minute rapid 'gum rubbing' oral test again and expect its accuracy at the 3 month mark? I did the 'gum rubbing' oral test at 7 weeks and it was negative. Just really want to make sure that the oral test at 3 months is just as accurate as a blood test at 3 months.

Had 1 potential exposure on Aug. 1st/2nd.

Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks for being so kind and generous with your time on this very, very important forum.

Looking forward to making a donation to your foundation this week, and of course, ultimately, seeing a cure.

Cheers!

-Mr. Liberal & Healthcare for ALL!

Hi Mr. Liberal,

The OraQuick oral fluid rapid test is highly sensitive (99.6%), highly specific (99.7%) and compares favorably to blood tests. A negative OraQuick oral fluid rapid test is considered a definitive negative unless testing occurs within the "window period" (first three months post-exposure). A positive OraQuick oral fluid rapid test is considered only a "preliminarily positive" test and needs to be confirmed with a Western Blot or IFA (immunofluorescent assay). You can read more about HIV diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum. The bottom line is that if your three-month OraQuick oral fluid test is negative, it's WOO-HOO-able! OK?

Need to enroll in study please refer
Repeat Customer -- Repeat Donations - I only trust you, (HIV TRANSMISSION FROM FINGERNAIL SCRATCH, 2009)