Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

needle exposure
Nov 9, 2009

I had a deep needle injury, patient had a high viral load, and was initiated with pep within 3 hours. Did have many symptoms during the first month, rash, weight loss, and oral mouth ulcers. 3 viral load rna pcr were done and all negative. My pep was extended to 6 weeks. Elisa at 12 weeks negative. My doctor stated that their were no conclusive studies on whether pep extended the window. He stated that they observed animal studies and drew conclusions based on that. He stated that studies show that the mean time health care workere convert is at 46 days, regardless of pep. He stated that 95 percent is likely at 3 month testing. Can you please commment.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what you'd like me to comment on. You had an occupational exposure and were started on PEP quickly (within three hours). Your three undetectable HIV quantitative PCR RNA viral load tests within the first month were encouraging. There really is no sound evidence for extending a course of PEP beyond 28 days. Your negative ELISA at 12 weeks is very encouraging. The post-PEP HIV-screening guidelines recommend follow-up HIV-antibody tests at six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure.

You can read more about occupational exposure, PEP and HIV testing in the archives of this forum.

Good luck,

Dr. Bob

Previous
ARS Symptoms During PEP?
Next
so frightened

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.