Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Toothbrush spunk follow-up question-Will donate
Nov 8, 2009

I am close to my 3 month testing mark and even though you calmed my fears by saying my risk is negligible at best, I can't get over the fact that the spunk on my toothbrush was brushed vigorously over my gums. If there were active HIV on the brush, couldn't it get in through tiny tears on the gums? Would using toothpaste deactivate the HIV? Below is the original Q&A.

This may fall into the most bizarre category but it is real and I am worried. A few months ago, I was traveling with colleagues overseas for work. Our connecting flight was cancelled at 1:00 am and we were the only people stuck at the airport. When we went to get our luggage, the airport refused to bring it out because it was in storage. The counter person made several phone calls to storage to please send out the luggage. The handlers on the phone were clearly annoyed at having to retrieve the luggage. After an hour our luggage was shoved out to our waiting area. When I finally got to a hotel I took my brand new toothbrush out of the ziploc bag I packed it in and rinsed it lightly, applied toothpaste and brushed. When I went to put the tooth brush back in the plastic bag, I noticed there was a slippery fluid in the bag. It smelled just like semen. I know this sounds absurd but I definitely think a disgruntled baggage handler ejaculated in my toothbrush bag as revenge. I always pack a dry new toothbrush in a ziploc bag when I travel. There is nothing elseI can think of that would cause fluid in the bag, especially with the distinct smell of semen. Nothing else was in the bag and it was not next to any other toiletries. So if this was the case, I am worried. The toothbrush and fluid were in a sealed ziploc, not exposed to air and only lightly rinsed before I used it. Taking into account that this really happened, should I get tested for HIV and other STD's?

Response from Dr. Frascino

"I know this sounds absurd but I definitely think a disgruntled baggage handler ejaculated in my toothbrush as revenge." Oh my. I'd say that one passed up absurd quite some time go. Disgruntled baggage handlers don't get revenge that way, silly boy. Rather they just arrange for a 747 to run over your Louis Vuitton luggage, smashing it to smithereens. But deliberately spunking up your toothbrush? Nah, I don't buy it. However, since you obviously do, I'll mention your HIV-acquisition risk would be negligible at best. Remember, HIV does not survive long outside the body. Ziploc bags are far from airtight. The only reason to consider getting a definitive three-month test would be peace of mind. There is no medical justification for getting the test, but it might help you psychologically. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Toothbrush-Spunk-Guy,

I remain amazed (and amused) by your ongoing worry that a disgruntled baggage handler spunked your toothbrush to get revenge.

My assessment remains unchanged and your follow-up question once again puts your query into contention for "the most whacked question of the week." So if you win (again), would you like the Chia Pet, Ginsu Knives or amazing Shamwow as your prize??? Oh, and since you are a two-time winner, we'll throw in a bonus gift, "Barry Manilow Sings Punk-Rock Hits from Smashing Pumpkins."

Dr. Bob

Previous
12 years of anxiety sending 200 dollar donation
Next
Thank You for responding twice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.