Given PEP Need Help!!!!!!

Hello Dr Robert, Last week I had a brief period of insertive sex equalling two thursts and was no longer intrested. I would like to state that when I put the condom on I never have a problem but this time the guy did it. I orignally didnt think anything was wrong because my head wasnt sticking out of the condom but when I took it off and ran it under the tap I saw it was leaking water from a tear. I am very hiv concious and started crying etc etc... I ran to the Emergency room and took PEP in 5 hrs which I am being monitored on.

My question is if PEP is not studied or known to be effective am I just taking it out of desperation? As much as I have respect for anyone who has ever become positive I don't think I would be able to live through it. I am really sad and confused. I mean a life of misery for two seconds of what I thought was protected sex.

Two thrusts and you lost interest? Wow, your partner must have been a really bad lay!

Whether or not PEP would be indicated for such a minimal in-out-in-out is questionable. You report you're being "monitored" on PEP. Consequently, I'm assuming an HIV specialist is monitoring your treatment and that he or she feels PEP is warranted.

PEP has been shown to be effective in aborting HIV transmission in a variety of settings; however, it is not 100% effective. There are PEP failures (yours truly, for example).

Your overall HIV-acquisition risk remains very low. You are doing everything you can at the moment. You shouldn't be confused. And I would encourage you not to be excessively anxious either. The statistical odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this wam-bam-thank-you-Sam.

Promising statistically, but!!!
PLEASE DR BOB! I AM BEGGING!I NEED YOU RIGHT NOW