Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible vomit in eye
Nov 4, 2009

Dear Dr. Bob, I am a nursing student. I have developed an intense fear of both contracting and trasmitting bloodborne pathogens. I have read your archives and current posts extensively, and so I do feel my knowledge has increased considerably. Since I know many of my fears are irrational or focusing on the most nonexistent odds, I have been focusing on not playing into these fears and not allowing myself to freak out about things that are not a risk.

Today I was caring for a pediatric pt w/ H1N1 on contact and droplet isolation. He threw up into an emesis basin, and I took it into the bathroom, rinsed it, and dried it out.

When I was leaving the room and was removing the mask, gown, and gloves I had on, I reached up to remove the mask, and the tip of my finger touched the bottom lid of my eye. Now, of course, I was plagued with an internal struggle between freaking out about this or realizing that 1. wouldn't I have known if there were even visible fluid on my finger?, 2. HIV is not transmitted through vomit, and 3. even if it were, it would have been at least a few minutes between him throwing up and me *possibly* touching my eye or bottom eyelid.

I read your archives again as soon as I returned home and that confirmed that HIV is not transmitted in vomitus - a risk only exists if there is visible blood present. Looking back, I'm relatively certain I removed my gloves before removing my mask, which would make it a nonexistent risk.

I am really trying to have a reasonable perspective on this since I know I have developed a phobia -- was I right in recognizing this as not a possibility for exposure? I know you always say we should report possibly occupational exposures, but I feel that every time I fear about something, I'd be going weekly if not more, and I know that is most likely irrational.

Please help me.

-Recovering-Phobic Nursing Student

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Recovering-Phobic Nursing Student,

Your reasoning and assumptions are correct. Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent.

Having "an intense fear of contracting and transmitting blood-borne pathogens" is going to be an ongoing challenge for you should you continue in your present career path. You really have two options:

1. Choose another career.

2. Get counseling (psychotherapy) to help you confront and conquer your totally unwarranted and completely irrational HIV fears.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I will send $100. Please help me here.
Next
Does Repeated Exposure Affect Testing?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.