The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rapid 20 minute OraQuick

Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Frascino,

Instead of having blood drawn, can I go for the OraQuick 20 minute rapid 'gum rubbing' oral test again and expect its accuracy at the 3 month mark? I did the 'gum rubbing' oral test at 7 weeks and it was negative. Just really want to make sure that the oral test at 3 months is just as accurate as a blood test at 3 months.

Had 1 potential exposure on Aug. 1st/2nd.

Your advice and thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks for being so kind and generous with your time on this very, very important forum.

Looking forward to making a donation to your foundation this week, and of course, ultimately, seeing a cure.


-Mr. Liberal & Healthcare for ALL!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Mr. Liberal,

The OraQuick oral fluid rapid test is highly sensitive (99.6%), highly specific (99.7%) and compares favorably to blood tests. A negative OraQuick oral fluid rapid test is considered a definitive negative unless testing occurs within the "window period" (first three months post-exposure). A positive OraQuick oral fluid rapid test is considered only a "preliminarily positive" test and needs to be confirmed with a Western Blot or IFA (immunofluorescent assay). You can read more about HIV diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum. The bottom line is that if your three-month OraQuick oral fluid test is negative, it's WOO-HOO-able! OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Witholding the truth? (DISCLOSURE, INSPOT.ORG, 2009 )

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint