Troubled man

Thanks for the great work you are doing dr robert and i wish to donate for the cause. Let me know how to do the same.

Regd my risk i got drunk twice in London while on a 2 week visit from India and had sex on both the staurdays with the same prostitute. I had drunk so much that i cannot remember if she had the condom on me all the time on the first occasion.

I have a pregnant wife in India and after returning freaked out that i had caught hiv while in London.

I went for a 93 days HIV test which turned out negative.

My questions and i am more careful since i am supposed to become a father here-

1> Is the HIV test dependable or can human error cause the result to be varied? India does not have many testing centres so i am not sure how much the dependability of the test would be??

2> 6 months have passed now and i have daily heart attacks whenever my wife coughs or sneezes or has fever. This has made my life hell.

Considering the situation that i am in do you recommend a 2nd HIV test? Please let me know. I need to travel for a day to the nearest testing centre here so need your kind advise.

Hello Troubled Man,

1. Your negative HIV test at 93 days is considered conclusive. If my reassurance is not enough for you to completely shake your fears, repeat your HIV-antibody test now that six months have passed. The results will undoubtedly be negative. However, if this will help put all residual fears permanently to rest, it may well be worth the effort psychologically.

2. Daily heart attacks?? Oh, that's not good. See response to #1 above. It appears a confirmatory six-month test may help your self-induced worried-well hell. There's a good chance guilt may be a large part of your problem. I'd recommend you level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

Thank you for your interest in The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Donation information can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org.

Be well.

Please post that my pondering about PEP is perposterous
re re big mistake in san fran r