Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please post that my pondering about PEP is perposterous
Nov 1, 2009

Dr Dr. Bob, I am scared and desperate for your advice. I need you to assess my situation and I will try to be brief. I was being prepared to go into a procedure in the hospital and had to be given an IV. I noticed the nurse had a small cut by her thumbnail that was red but not bleeding - still not scabbed over though. She then set up to give me an IV and then put on latex gloves and started the IV. When she removed the gloves after the IV I looked at the cut again it still did not appear to be bleeding but it looked like there was a little dried blood on it like it had bled recently. I asked her about the cut and she just answered 'that's why we wear gloves' I decided to just 'fuggidabouit' as you would say but now I am second guessing it: a.) I should have refused the IV and asked for another nurse without a cut or: b.) I should have insisted on talking to infection control and have the nurse tested and/or start PEP after I got the IV and started my initial worrying I know that she wore gloves but some of her blood could have gotten on the supplies or needle before she put the gloves on hence possibly shoving fresh blood residue into my arm. Dr Bob please help I am not able to function at all at this point, should I go to infection control? Be tested? Or fuggidabouit?????????? -Scared Crow

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Scared Crow,

Fuggedaboutit!!! Definitely fuggedaboutit! Your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. Your PEP ponderings are positively preposterous.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Nurse - Worried Sick
Next
Troubled man

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.