P24 Antigen

Hi Doc

What would you say about people with P24 band detected but a negative ELISA? Is the person has exposed to the virus that why the P24 in WB? Could it be the body has fight the virus off and that is why it is ELISA negative but still P24 reactive after years?

Can the above person been exposed but "recovered" by its own immune system still transmit the virus to his partner?

Thanks

What would I say about a negative ELISA and positive p24 band on the Western Blot??? I'd say the physician who ordered this test didn't know what he or she was doing! Western Blot tests should only be run to confirm a repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA! Your ELISA was negative and hence the Western Blot should not have been done. You are definitively and conclusively HIV negative (assuming your negative ELISA was run outside the window period). The indeterminate Western Blot (p24 band) is a false-positive (indeterminate) result.

As for your assumptions about the body fighting off HIV, resulting in a negative ELISA but residual p24, no, that is not possible. No one has "recovered" from HIV/AIDS.

You can learn much more about HIV diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum. Have a look.

small followup question - donation is on the way
I'll donate too, please help