I am told to ask someone I trust and I trust your answers.

Dr. Bob,

This is un-related to HIV, and I have no family Dr. and no medical professional I can trust, so I come to you for guidence. I have read many of your questions and I respect all the answer that you give. So I was wondering if you could help me. I am a Canadian, a mother of 2 children and I am having a great deal of trouble deciding what is best to do about this whole H1N1 virus and vaccination. In all honesty, the vaccine scares me. My gut is telling me not to get the kids vaccinated, but also I am scared about the virus. I have read that the majority of cases are mild and people recover. I do not know who to trust and what info is correct or not...I hear on the news one Dr. saying to get the vaccine and then another saying he will not get it nor will be give it to his kids...I hear the same things from Micro biologists and researchers...I realize that this is not HIV related, but I am desperate, and like I said I have no family Dr. that I can go to for questions. The vaccine is not avaiable to me until the end of Nov as we do not fall in a high risk. If you do choose to answer this I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you. Sarah

In my opinion, you have much more to fear from H1N1 infection than from H1N1 vaccination. Check out the information provided by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) at http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

There is a question and answer section entitled 2009 H1N1 Flu ("Swine Flu") and You (update October 20, 2009). It has the latest information.

Also, if it helps at all, I can advise you that I'll be rolling my sleeve up to get the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it is available.

Different encounters
can you please answer me ... i know you are busy but please