Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am told to ask someone I trust and I trust your answers.
Oct 29, 2009

Dr. Bob,

This is un-related to HIV, and I have no family Dr. and no medical professional I can trust, so I come to you for guidence. I have read many of your questions and I respect all the answer that you give. So I was wondering if you could help me. I am a Canadian, a mother of 2 children and I am having a great deal of trouble deciding what is best to do about this whole H1N1 virus and vaccination. In all honesty, the vaccine scares me. My gut is telling me not to get the kids vaccinated, but also I am scared about the virus. I have read that the majority of cases are mild and people recover. I do not know who to trust and what info is correct or not...I hear on the news one Dr. saying to get the vaccine and then another saying he will not get it nor will be give it to his kids...I hear the same things from Micro biologists and researchers...I realize that this is not HIV related, but I am desperate, and like I said I have no family Dr. that I can go to for questions. The vaccine is not avaiable to me until the end of Nov as we do not fall in a high risk. If you do choose to answer this I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you. Sarah

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

In my opinion, you have much more to fear from H1N1 infection than from H1N1 vaccination. Check out the information provided by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) at http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

There is a question and answer section entitled 2009 H1N1 Flu ("Swine Flu") and You (update October 20, 2009). It has the latest information.

Also, if it helps at all, I can advise you that I'll be rolling my sleeve up to get the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it is available.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Different encounters
Next
can you please answer me ... i know you are busy but please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.