Oct 28, 2009
Hi Dr.Frascino....I have an unusual question. I'm a negative female married to a pos man (undetectable since 1998.) I have a rare skin disease/autoimmune disorder called hidradenitis suppurativa. This condition causes me to have boil-like lesions in my groin/perineum and under my breasts. While my case is somewhat milder than others, I regularly have many sores at various stages in the healing process. Due to the inverse areas affected, the sores take a long time to heal. This condition is not contagious. In any event, with my husband being undetectable, we have decided that we would assume a small risk when making love. I give him unprotected oral (he seldom has any pre-cum) and we have unprotected intercourse, and he pulls out prior to climax. My questions are: 1) is this type of sexual contact relatively safe and 2) am I at any further risk if his semen comes in contact with my hidradenitis sores? I often wonder if like STD's increasing the chance for transmission, my condition would have a similar effect. Also, have you ever heard of my disease?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Unprotected oral sex with a positive partner carries a low risk for HIV transmission, barring extenuating circumstances (oral cuts or lesions, concurrent STDs, etc.). Unprotected vaginal sex with pulling out prior to climax carries a much larger risk for viral transmission. I would recommend latex or polyurethane condoms for all penetrative sex, start to finish!
2. You would be at increased risk if HIV-infected semen comes into contact with non-intact skin (open sores or wounds).
3. Yes, I'm very familiar with hidradenitis suppurativa. I would encourage you to follow up with a dermatologist experienced in the management of this disease.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Fatigue A Symptom Of Ars?
- Pain In Penis Sign Of HIV Infection
- Can You Get HIV From Blowjob From A Prostitute?
- Erectile Dysfunction After Receptive Anal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Having Sex During Period Worried I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Swallowing Cum Sign Of HIV AIDS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.