Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unusual Questions
Oct 28, 2009

Hi Dr.Frascino....I have an unusual question. I'm a negative female married to a pos man (undetectable since 1998.) I have a rare skin disease/autoimmune disorder called hidradenitis suppurativa. This condition causes me to have boil-like lesions in my groin/perineum and under my breasts. While my case is somewhat milder than others, I regularly have many sores at various stages in the healing process. Due to the inverse areas affected, the sores take a long time to heal. This condition is not contagious. In any event, with my husband being undetectable, we have decided that we would assume a small risk when making love. I give him unprotected oral (he seldom has any pre-cum) and we have unprotected intercourse, and he pulls out prior to climax. My questions are: 1) is this type of sexual contact relatively safe and 2) am I at any further risk if his semen comes in contact with my hidradenitis sores? I often wonder if like STD's increasing the chance for transmission, my condition would have a similar effect. Also, have you ever heard of my disease?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Unprotected oral sex with a positive partner carries a low risk for HIV transmission, barring extenuating circumstances (oral cuts or lesions, concurrent STDs, etc.). Unprotected vaginal sex with pulling out prior to climax carries a much larger risk for viral transmission. I would recommend latex or polyurethane condoms for all penetrative sex, start to finish!

2. You would be at increased risk if HIV-infected semen comes into contact with non-intact skin (open sores or wounds).

3. Yes, I'm very familiar with hidradenitis suppurativa. I would encourage you to follow up with a dermatologist experienced in the management of this disease.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just a little good luck karma
Next
gay..touched his semen...wiped ..sniffed..hiv fear (NOW INCLUDES WIFE AND PREGNENCY)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.