You are great

I was worried you would be upset with me :). I wish you the best and thanks for being there even though I wasn't honest.

Why would I be upset with you?? I'm here to answer questions and concerns, even if the questions are sometimes zany and the concerns are sometimes less than truthful. Relax Max. We're still BFF, OK?

Sorry Oct 27, 2009

I asked the question about blood in the coffee and I have to fess up to you. I was trying to cover for another one of my concerns. Of course, I got the courage up to get tested and went to the bathroom and left my cup on the ledge. Some creepy guy came in and of course the HIV clinic is on the same floor so I started freaking out that he may have put blood in my coffee when I was taking a piss. I believe it is my mind telling me this as I even cam home and opened up the cup and poured it into a glass to see if I could see anything. I didn't go as far as to cut myself and see how blood would look in coffee but I did think about it.

I wanted to apologize to you as I know you get many questions and I should not have tried to beat around the bush and I feel terrible and wanted to apologize.

I think it is so much irrational thinking that has caused me to get like this. From your responses, even if he did put anything in my cup, it would not be an issue. Thanks again.

You couldn't even be honest on an anonymous HIV information Web site??? Wow. That's really kind of whacked, don't cha think? Of course, not nearly as whacked as cutting yourself to see how blood would look in your soy latte!

Dude, apology accepted. (I suspected your post was less than honest.) You might want to consider getting psychotherapy (counseling) to help you confront your irrational fears and related issues.

Just wanted to make sure you didnt think I was joking :) Oct 23, 2009 My post was below, I wanted to make sure you didn't think I was joking :). I am a little confused though. It says blood exposure to the mouth can be a risk. Why would it not be if it was in the coffee. I hope I don't sound to uneducated. My wife also thinks I am crazy but that a whole other story :). You are 100% sure i can put this behind me. Thanks so much for the clarification.

Hi Sir, I have had quite a bit of worry today after an event that happened and I am not sure if it is a risk or not. I was in a bathroom at a downtown shelter where i volunteer and a fight broke out between two guys.The one guy was bleeding pretty bad near the sink. I had left my coffee siting on the counter and grabbed it and ran out. Had a sip and noticed there was blood in the coffee. I only had one sip but was wondering if I may have put myself at risk with this. I know blood is a risk but diluted is it still please answer I am a little batty over this freak incident. Will donate $100 on its way.

There are several reasons you should indeed put this behind you. First of all, HIV doesn't survive very long outside the body. Second, there would be a significant dilutional effect to flying blood landing in your cappuccino. Finally, coffee is not a hospitable environment for HIV. Consequently, I remain absolutely confident that you did not contract HIV from your Starbucks half-caf, half-decaf, soy mocha latte with one Splenda and a few drops of O negative blood. If my reassurance is not enough for you, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative, but if it helps put your residual (unwarranted) fears permanently to rest, it may be worth the effort psychologically.

Be well. See you at the espresso bar!

Different Answers by different Docs (WHEN TO START TREATMENT, 2009)
Hope this doesn't sound too crazy