Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Rash: come and go? Or hits all at once?
Oct 26, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob!

I've seen several posts about the ARS rash, but was wondering: does the rash hit "all at once" or can it progress as days go by?

11 weeks ago I performed oral sex on another man. He did not ejaculate in my mouth.

In the past week, I've developed a rash on my chest, waist line, and armpits, but I've had NO other symptoms. No fever, no loss of appetite (on the contrary, I have quite a healthy appetite), no weight loss. I did get a flu shot about 1.5 weeks ago, so was wondering if that could be it?

I'm hesitant to call it a rash, it looks more like acne, but since my encounter was 11 weeks ago I wanted more info.

Also, just wondering: if I did develop other symptoms - do this hit all at once, or are they "scattered" in development?

Thanks so much for all your help!

Sincerely, Nervous in California

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Nervous in California,

The symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) generally become manifest two to three weeks after primary HIV exposure and infection. A rash 11 weeks after a potential exposure would not be related to HIV ARS. The symptoms of ARS generally occur simultaneously and persist for two to three weeks. You can read much more about ARS symptoms in the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter devoted to "symptoms."

Regarding your HIV status, the only reason to worry or get HIV tested is HIV risk, not the presence or absence of "symptoms." Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Oral sex carries only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. Again, you can read much more about this in the archives. We have a chapter devoted to oral sex as well! If you're concerned that you placed yourself at risk for HIV, get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. It really is just that straightforward!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Remember me..George Clooney look-a-like :) +$50 donation
Next
Why is it Silicone lube is safe to use in my body?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.