please help me, its driving me insane!!

hi Dr Bob

i really hope you take the time to answer my question. the thought of being infected is driving me crazy! 9 weeks ago, i had unprotected insertive anal sex. i dont know how i could have been so stupid. all i can say is i was very drunk. it was only when the story broke recently about the hiv vaccine that i started thinking about the disease and checking up on it.

about a week after the incident i had diarrhea which lasted 3/4 days. 6 weeks later i had a dry cough for about a week and now, 9 weeks later i have sore ribs on the left side of my body. they are usually painless but it hurts when i cough, breathe deeply, lie on my side or exert pressure by opeining a heavy door etc.

Could you please advise me of the chance that i am infected (i am uncircumcised) and whether the symptoms i have described are consistent with hiv. please please haelp me as i am completely freaking out.

thank you

Unprotected anal sex places you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Symptoms or no symptoms, you'll need to get an HIV test at the three-month mark. Symptoms, as I have often stated in this forum, are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The only reason to worry and get tested is HIV risk, not the presence or absence of symptoms! That said, your particular symptoms are not consistent with HIV acute retroviral syndrome symptoms. You can read more about these in the archives.

Clothes
quick question BOB