Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hi from ireland
Oct 22, 2009

Hi Dr Bob, Just a quick question, while in hospital for Tachycardia, i was outside having a smoke, when a guy asked me for a lighter (he looked like a junkie) i gave him one his hand had dried blood on it but it was bandaged. i got a tiny bit of dried blood on my hand i had a few tiny cuts on my hand all healed max 12 hours old not bleeding(From doing gardening earlier in the day) just wondering the hiv/hep c risk from this, i did not notice any fresh tainted blood at all so am i home free ? I do worry about things a bit.... hopefully you can answer me this as ive checked the archives but they only seem to see hiv risk but with hiv and hep c risk can i put this behind me and move on ?? as he was a junkie in my eyes slurred speach etc...

many many thanks for taking the time to read my question donation made to The Robert James Franscino AIDS Foundation.

Dave

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Dave,

Your HIV and hepatitis C risk is nonexistent. However, I do see a significant health risk in your post. You were in the hospital for evaluation of tachycardia and you were outside "having a smoke"??? WHAT??? Dave, you really shouldn't worry so much about blood-borne disease, like HIV and hepatitis C, because if you're a smoker with cardiac abnormalities, the cigarettes will kill you long before the viruses would. I strongly urge you to quit smoking. I watched my brother die from cigarette-induced lung and brain cancer. I can assure you it's not something you want to experience.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Good luck. Be well. Quit smoking.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Fear and Shame..affraid to get tested (WHAT YOU DONT KNOW CAN KILL YOU, 2009) ( IS IT BETTER TO GET HIV TESTED OR NOT TO KNOW, 2009)
Next
CHILD SARING IN DISCORDANT COUPLES (PREGNANCYAND SPERM WASHING, POSITIVE MALE, NEGATIVE FEMALE, 2009)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.