Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Positive or Negative?
Oct 21, 2009

Dear Dr. Bob, I donated blood for a function at my college through the American Red Cross. The results were as follows: HIV 1/2 antibodies - Positive Western Blot- - IND HIV-1 Antigen confirmatory test (neutralization)- NEG HIV NAT - NEG

I have read numerous other entries with results similar to mine, but some of these women are pregnant or have received a vaccine of some sort...neither of which apply to me. Perhaps it was just clinical error? I know the system wants to protect the blood. If the EIA is positive, but NAT is negative, does that mean I am negative? Especially with an inconclusive western blot?

I feel like my past sexual history puts me at very low risk...but I just want to be sure. The flyer that came with the letter said it was very highly unlikely that I had HIV, but I am still worried!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I would agree with letter/flyer: It is highly unlikely that you are HIV infected. In fact, I'm just about certain you are not, particularly in light of your "very low risk" sexual history. I do not believe your results are a clerical error. Rather, you most likely have some type of non-specific cross-reacting antibody in your blood that caused the initial positive HIV-1/2 antibody test and indeterminate Western Blot. That your p24 antigen is negative and NAT is undetectable would certainly strongly suggest you are HIV negative. I would suggest you repeat a standard ELISA (or EIA) with reflex Western Blot in two to three months. If negative, you're negative. If the results remain indeterminate again, I'd suggest getting a qualitative DNA PCR. You can read much more about these tests and indeterminate (as well as false-positive) HIV-antibody tests in the archives of this forum.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
young and blue in the city
Next
Blood in coffee after fight

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.