Blood in mouth follow-up question

Hi Dr Bob,

I recently asked the question about the blood in mouth experience at the take out restaurant. You answered me that I was irrational and crazy, which is likely true. However I also asked specifically a basic science question about the penetration of oral mucous membranes by the HIV virus or by virus-infected cells from another person via blood. I would like some clarification about this mechanism of infection. Can HIV and HIV-infected cells penetrate an intact, unabraded mucous membrane?

Thanks, Worried in NY

As I have mentioned a number of times in this forum, HIV can be absorbed directly across intact mucous membranes. But please note this did not happen to you. I'd suggest you read the archives of this forum. You should find the information both enlightening and reassuring.

Cheers for answering!
Thanks for your answer, another question