H1N1 nasal mist

Hello Dr. Bob,

I would hope everything is well with you and would appreciate once again if you could help me with a concern.

I will be able to get the H1N1 nasal spray at work in the next few days and was wondering if someone with HIV and a T-cell count of 600 and undetectable viral load could take the H1N1 flu mist.

I just spoke to my ID doctor and he told me that I could and that the guidelines will be changing in regards to HIV positive people taking the flu mist.

It's not that I don't trust him, but it's always nice to get your much appreciated opinion.

The nasal vaccine (FluMist) is made form an attenuated live virus. This means the virus has been weakened and tamed in the laboratory so it cannot cause illness. (The measles and chickenpox vaccines are also made from live attenuated viruses.) The attenuated virus can multiply only in the cooler temperatures of the nasal passages and cannot survive in the higher temperatures of the respiratory tract (lungs). When the vaccine is sprayed into the nose, it multiplies on the mucous membranes in the nose and throat, triggering the body's immune response without causing illness. FluMist is not approved or recommended for people with HIV or asthma, pregnancy women or those with significant underlying medical conditions, like heart disease or diabetes.

The injectable vaccine is made from a killed influenza virus that is highly purified and broken into tiny pieces. It cannot recombine in the body to produce a viable virus or cause illness (flu). However, it can still stimulate the immune system to evoke a protective immune response. For now, HIV-positive folks should get the injectable (killed) vaccine. To date there have been no changes made to the published guidelines for recommended use of these vaccines. HIVers should get only the injectable (killed) vaccine and continue to avoid live attenuated vaccines, including the nasal mist (FluMist) vaccines.

We'll keep you posted here on this site on any future revisions to the guidelines.

Mitch McConnell is Evil!!!
Dépistage vih 6 semaines