Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv notification
Oct 15, 2009

hi, heres my situation im 23 and used to donate blood. well yesterday i got a call from a blood center in the county i used to live saying that they were reviewing my case and it was determined i was hiv positive. well i have not donated blood in almost 7 years and have been tested countless times since and all came back negative. yes i have engaged in unprotected sex in my monogamous relationship. now i was in a crowded area when i got the call and didnt quite here who they asked to speak to and being it was my mobile i assumed they had the right number. also im thinking it was the wrong number or someone playing a joke on me cause i jus got this new number which mean it isnt even on my file. in addition, i thought something like that they call u to reveal the results in person. and this particular blood service have recently called me wanting a donation so why would they even do that if i tested positive. i kno this is long but i jus wanted u to have all the details. i am going to get tested again tomorrow to be certain. my questions is, Is this the way blood services notify donors of their status and should i be worried? if this is not protocol and my test is negative who can i file a complaint to about this because like always someone else cud have answered my phone and my confidentiality would have been out the window

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First of all if you haven't donated blood for seven years and have had "countless" negative tests over the past seven years, you have not reason to be concerned about the call from the blood bank.

Next, remember the reason you go to a blood bank is to make a blood donation, not to be screened for STDs. Screening tests at blood donation centers are designed to protect the blood supply, not to diagnose HIV disease. False-positive tests are not uncommon with blood bank screening. If someone tests preliminarily positive, their blood is discarded and they are notified by phone and/or letter and advised to follow-up with their physician for more specific testing for possible bloodborne diseases (HIV, hepatitis, etc.).

I have no doubt you are HIV negative. As for filing a complaint, you can contact the blood donation center; however, you may have signed a waiver for notification as part of your consent form.

I also agree: your call could very well have been a wrong number or crank call.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Bioalcamid problem
Next
Antibody test with NAAT tests, combo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.