Scared

Hello, Dr. Bob. I am a female who had unprotected sex in March. Four weeks after I got a sore throat that lasted a week. Two month after I had a weird food poisoning accompanied by headache that repeated the next day. Since February, before my unprotected encounter, I started taking acai pills with chromium for weight management. When I stopped taking acai pills at the end of June, right away, I started to have weird stool similar to diarrhea that lasted for a month and still comes back now and then and terrible pain, numbness and tingling in my feet and hands. Sometimes even my whole body would feel numb and tingle. I had another episode of upset stomach that was accompanied by headache and shooting feet pain. After three weeks tingling and numbness went away, but hands and feet pain still stayed. Also in April I noticed my breast becoming larger and now I see that my neck, arms and legs are getting thinner as my veins are more visible and some times I wake up sweaty in my neck area. I was tested for HIV with ELISA antibody test three times at 5, 6 and 7 months all negative, but I am so scared as now I get strange bruises on my legs and hands. Sometimes they hurt, sometimes they do not. Also since unprotected sex incident my period that is always regular starts early. My doctor tells me no way, but I am scared. I drink a lot of alcohol lately as cant cope with my fears. Wanted to ask you if acai or chromium could delay seroconversion and what are your thoughts on my situation. Thank you so much for helping so many people with fears and sad reality.

Your negative ELISA tests at five, six and seven months are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Acai pills with chromium will not affect HIV seroconversion or the accuracy of HIV tests.

I think you correctly identified your problem when you wrote ". . . I can't cope with my fears." BINGO! Your problem is irrational fears and anxiety. Excessive alcohol is never a good idea and is actually a particularly bad idea for coping with anxiety! I would suggest you get psychotherapy (counseling) to help you confront and conquer your irrational and totally unwarranted HIV fears. Counseling can also help you accept the truly wonderful news of your definitive HIV-negative status.

what are my chances?
getting stabbed with hiv needle