Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

concerned college kid
Oct 9, 2009

Dr. Bob,

I admire and appreciate the time and effort that you put into answering the questions posted on this forum no matter how trivial or redundant. For that I want to say thank you!

I hate to add to that list but I think this could be helpful to not only myself but others as well so here goes.

I'm a 20 year old college guy who is bi-curious. In the past month and a half I have had one time encounters with 4 different partners. On Aug 27th I had brief unprotected insertive oral with another guy then bricked on his chest. On Aug 28th I then had protected vaginal sex and fingering with a girl, the latter produced a small amount of blood on my fingers, but did not see any large cuts on hand. On Aug 29th I then had protected mutual masterbation and insertive oral sex with another guy. Finally on Sept. 18, I had unprotected mutual masterbation, french kissing, and insertive oral sex with a different guy in which the hand i used to jerk him did not touch my penis that i recall. we both came onto the floor away from each other. Right after this encounter is when my mind started racing.

I'm now having a major stress attack over HIV, which is my second in the past 7 months...My symptoms have been on and off headaches starting about 5 days later which lasted about a week. Then about 10 days after the encounter i started to have muscle pain up and down my back. I realize this could be due to anxiety and stress but worries me nonetheless. I haven't had any other symptoms, but just don't feel right. I tested clean for STD/HIV on Sept 25th, but i realize the HIV test is not conclusive. I plan on seeking counseling to deal with the window period and to talk to about my worries.

Overall I just want to see what your thoughts are on all of this, see if you could size up my risks and administer some advice to an obvious rookie. I'm just really hoping that my reckless behavior is not going to cost me my future.

Thanks and all the best.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Concerned College Kid,

You adhered to safer sexual practices. Why are you so freaked out? Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible to nonexistent. I can only guess that the real reason for your anxiety has to do with your "bi-curious" experimentation. I'm glad you are opting for counseling to help you cope with your window period anxieties. I would also suggest you use the counseling sessions to explore sexual orientation issues. After all, you've had four walks on the wild side over the past 1.5 months and three of the four have been with guys. Whether you wind up being straight as a lawn dart or as gay as the Christmas windows at Macy's, continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

By the way, with your scorecard over the past 1.5 months you won't be a "nookie rookie" for very long.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
STILL QUITE WORRIED
Next
Please Help Me Dr... Am helpless

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.