Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ELISA and DNA PCR - How conclusive?
Oct 9, 2009

I had a rash on June 17th and i tested both ELISA and Qualitative DNA PCR on Aug 17th (8 weeks after the rash). Both came out negative. My HIV counselor told me thats very conclusive and I dont need any further testing. But in different blogs I am seeing that it is a possibility that both tests could be negative (Negative PCR after ACute infection and Negative ELISA before seroconversion)but there is a chance of being positive. Do I need to test in 6 months? Besides qualitative DNA PCR test says that 'it is not approved by FDA'. Do I need to be concerned about the quality of the PCR test?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The HIV DNA PCR is not approved by the FDA for routine HIV screening (due to the rate of false positives, other technical considerations and cost). The best test for HIV screening remains an FDA-approved HIV-antibody test taken outside the window period (defined as the first three months after an exposure). That said, the chance that a DNA PCR and an ELISA taken eight weeks after a potential exposure would both be false negatives is extremely remote at best.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Condom problem!!Please,need your opinion...
Next
Exposure via eye from nondetectable viral load HIVpt.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.