Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RUNNING OUT OF TIME - Condom breakage during sex with a Prostitute
Sep 30, 2009

Dr. Bob,

The VA does not do PEP for situations like this and I need to know if PEP is warranted in a situation like this. I am at the 29th hour right now and am getting really nervous.

Briefly - I was having sex at a Massage parlor in Philadelphia and the condom broke. I didn't realize what had happened for a good 3-5 minutes although since it felt alot better I should have known.

The status is unknown for the girl. I don't have any opening on my penis that I can see. I was treated for everything else by the ER last night except for possible HIV.

I have tried very hard to do a risk assessment online but haven't been able to find one.

I will gladly help you out anyway I can if you can just let me know what you think about the PEP necessity.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I would agree with the VA decision not to recommend PEP for the type of potential exposure you had. (Even though PEP may be prescribed by some physicians for similar situations.)

The estimated per-act statistical risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV infected is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated statistical risk would be less, as we do not know the HIV status of your hooker-masseuse.

I would recommend you get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. In addition, I'd also advise you review proper condom technique, as they very rarely fail (break) when used properly. You can read about proper condom techniques in the archives of this forum.

Good luck. Remember, the odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your massage with benefits.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob, Can I WoooHoooooooooooo???!!!
Next
Re:Trying again Maybe you will answer this time???/Will officially be the 1st documented oral case

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.