Risk of HIV transmission?- please answer I will donate

OKay I'm sorry to take up your time - I have OCD and a deep seated fear as I was raped as a child in Africa - have been tested far too often - all negative. I'm fighting the OCD but just need your qualified reassurance. Recently had a relative to stay, he travels a lot and has had many girlfriends - his own admission! He kindly cooked us a meal and placed a sharp tin lid in the bin. The next day - so definately 10 to 12 hours later - I had to check for some address we thought may have been thrown in the bin. I saw the lid and I don't think I came into contact with it - but saw a shallow line on my thumb - a few layers of skin down - but no blood. Couldn't check the tin lid for blood as it was from tinned tomatoes!! What if I had cut myself on the lid and what if the relative had cut himself some 10 or so hours earlier? A lot of what ifs - I know - worried well but I really don't want to start off another bout of anxiety waiting to be tested. Please do answer and I'm sorry for giving in to my OCD

Hello OCDer,

No need to apologize! Living with such "deep seated fears" must be terribly challenging and uncomfortable.

Your suspicions were right on target. Your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. HIV doesn't live very long outside the body and certainly not 10 to 12 hours on the lid of a tin of tomatoes! Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted. What is warranted, however, is that you get psychotherapy (counseling) for your ODC and irrational fears of HIV. Take a read through the archives. You'll find testimonials from many folks who had similar HIV phobias who responded very well to counseling and, if needed, anti-anxiety medications. Confronting and eventually conquering your totally unwarranted fears is indeed possible.

Good luck! Remember, HIV is not your problem. Fear of HIV is!

Livign with an HIV+ friend
This is the only place that can help me!