Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of HIV transmission?- please answer I will donate
Sep 30, 2009

OKay I'm sorry to take up your time - I have OCD and a deep seated fear as I was raped as a child in Africa - have been tested far too often - all negative. I'm fighting the OCD but just need your qualified reassurance. Recently had a relative to stay, he travels a lot and has had many girlfriends - his own admission! He kindly cooked us a meal and placed a sharp tin lid in the bin. The next day - so definately 10 to 12 hours later - I had to check for some address we thought may have been thrown in the bin. I saw the lid and I don't think I came into contact with it - but saw a shallow line on my thumb - a few layers of skin down - but no blood. Couldn't check the tin lid for blood as it was from tinned tomatoes!! What if I had cut myself on the lid and what if the relative had cut himself some 10 or so hours earlier? A lot of what ifs - I know - worried well but I really don't want to start off another bout of anxiety waiting to be tested. Please do answer and I'm sorry for giving in to my OCD

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello OCDer,

No need to apologize! Living with such "deep seated fears" must be terribly challenging and uncomfortable.

Your suspicions were right on target. Your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. HIV doesn't live very long outside the body and certainly not 10 to 12 hours on the lid of a tin of tomatoes! Neither worry nor HIV testing is warranted. What is warranted, however, is that you get psychotherapy (counseling) for your ODC and irrational fears of HIV. Take a read through the archives. You'll find testimonials from many folks who had similar HIV phobias who responded very well to counseling and, if needed, anti-anxiety medications. Confronting and eventually conquering your totally unwarranted fears is indeed possible.

Good luck! Remember, HIV is not your problem. Fear of HIV is!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Livign with an HIV+ friend
Next
This is the only place that can help me!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.