Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Circumcision affects "protected"?
Sep 28, 2009

Dear Dr. Bob, I read that circumcision reduces the risk of transmission by 70%. Does this mean that we uncircumcised men, are at 70% higher risk even when we have protected sex? See I thought that only the opening of the urethra is the mucous membrane that has to be protected. Now is the foreskin mucous membrane too? Should we be more extra careful to not touch the outside of (used) condom and then the foreskin? I am asking because I might have done that accidently -- after a protected vaginal sex, touched the condom and then briefly touched the penis in the foreskin area. I am sorry to ask Dr. Bob, but does that increase my risk? Is testing warranted? Sorry too late for PEP now... hope for your word. Donation promised.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

HIV cannot permeate intact latex (or polyurethane). Consequently, if you have "protected sex" and the latex condom is used properly and doesn't break, your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent, whether you're circed or not.

Touching the outside of the condom is not considered an HIV risk, even if you subsequently touch your foreskin. (PEP definitely not warranted!)

You can read much more about the protective effects of circumcision and other safer sex and harm reduction methodologies in the archives of this forum.

Thank you for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr Bob, Please Help me Junky 1981
Next
PEP to prevent superinfection?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.