Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr Bob, Please Help me Junky 1981
Sep 28, 2009

Hello Doctor, I have sent you this question just before 3 days and havent received any reply. May be this similar question would have answered before. But I couldnt find any answers related to this. 2 years before I had sex with a prostitute and condom got broken during the intercourse. As soon as I realized the breakage I have washed my penis and urinated. I havent made a HIV test after 6 months due to fear and shyness to face that. I was living with fear and regret all these time. But 2 weeks before I have decided to go fort HIV test as I am going to select my life partner soon and I dont want to cheat her. Therefore I have gone for HIV test in a clinic. The result came on same day, just after 1 hour and they indicated that I am negative. I havent talked about the potential risk history and just gone for the test. So I am not sure what type of testing method they have used and if the result is accurate. My concerns: 1. Will HIV test after 2 years of potential risk trace the HIV presence? I heard that antibodies count in blood will come down year by year. Should I go for any specific type of HIV Test in order to make sure that I am not HIV infected? 2. How many years the antibody remain in blood after infection? 3. As the test result came of within an hour is it reliable? Please help me doctor. This is a matter of my life and I dont want to destroy my partners life in case I am infected. I will definitely donate for your Foundation. Please be so kind to reply doctor. I am eagerly waiting for your answer.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Your negative HIV test at two years is accurate, conclusive and definitive. Wherever you heard that "antibodies count in blood will come down year by year," you heard wrong.Whether you test at 3 months, 30 months or 30 years, the HIV-antibody test will still test positive in folks who are HIV infected. No further testing is warranted in your case.

2. See above.

3. Yes, rapid HIV tests are very reliable.

You can learn much more about HIV testing on this site and in the archives of this forum. Have a look around!

The bottom line is that HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional tests are warranted.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Stressed out, need some help...
Next
Circumcision affects "protected"?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.