Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom breakage during sex leaving me exposed for a couple minutes
Sep 28, 2009

Hello Dr Bob,

I have read several of your posts and am highly impressed with your advice. Please hear my story and let me know what you think.

We had a wild night out with the men last night. After numerous hours of drinking, we ended up at a Brothel.

I was having heterosexual sex with a woman who works there when the condom broke. I believe it was only a couple of minutes, maximum, until I realized it and promptly ran to the bathroom and washed myself off with soap and water.

I am a little freaked out about this as I have always been safe during sex. I can count on one hand how many times I have engaged in sexual intercourse with a woman (always women by the way... :) ).

I do not have any open sores, cuts, abbrasions, etc... on my penis.

Do you have any idea what the chances of catching HIV from this woman are given the situation? I know this is a tough question, and I know to get tested at 90 days. I am hoping you can give me some insight to help qwell my nerves.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The estimated per-act statistical risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected (or broken-condom) insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your statistical odds are even better, because we do not know the HIV status of your Brothel Bertha. In other words the statistical odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV. That said, you still need an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
NOT FAQ !!! Please Answer....
Next
In dire need of your advice.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.