Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question on risk of exposure and relevance of symptoms
Sep 25, 2009

Hey Dr. Bob!

I actually wrote to you many years ago with a question regarding an encounter I had... and thought I had learned my lesson with a big scare and negative test (1 year). However, I've managed to scare myself again... and I would really appreciate your input.

My fiance and I had an encounter with a couple that we knew to be into the "swinger" lifestyle. Neither of us had sex with the other couple, but there was a brief instance where my fiance and I bumpted teeth and I got a tiny laceration on my lip. Nothing big, but I knew it was there cause I tasted salt (I'm guessing a small amount of blood).

Of course I should have flashed back to my paranoia from years before, but I didn't. Instead, I then performed oral sex on the other girl for a minute or so. From what I've read, this would seem to be low-risk. But, it would also seem entirely possible that a few molecules of her vaginal fluid may have met the scratch on my lip.

Secondly, I monitored myself very closely for any of the typical ARS symptoms over the following 2-4 weeks, no problem.

Today, exactly 6 weeks post-"exposure", a raised non-itchy chest rash appeared "v-shape". I did quite a bit of research, and although there are other causes for the rash, HIV ARS is always one of the top 5-10. I don't like the coincidence.

And don't worry, I'm getting the test at 12 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. I could just use a medical opinion from the PRO at this point.

Thanks so much for everything you're doing! I hope you are still staying healthy and constantly wish you the best. I donated after your last word of advice, planning on doing the same again.

Scared and can't learn a lesson.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Scared and Can't Learn a Lesson,

Welcome back to the forum!

I agree your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely low at best.

Six weeks would be well beyond the usual two-three week period when the symptoms of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) generally become manifest. Also, having only a "v shaped" rash on your chest would not be characteristic of ARS. I'm quite confident your rash is not HIV related. If the rash is bothering you, see a dermatologist.

As for HIV testing, a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is really all that's necessary for a definitive test result. I'm certain it will be negative.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative.

Be well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Amsterdam Risky Good Times
Next
eosinophilia and effect on testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.