Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hard lumps
Sep 25, 2009

please dont shoot me down. i am not sure where to start. but ill try to make this short to be respectful. i was raped a few years ago. i was tested for everything but hiv b/c that test was too expensive. and i assumed that if he had hiv he would have other stds. a year or so later 2 people informed me that there was a rumor that he did in fact have hiv. i feel like this may be true b/c he had many many partners (over 60) and i also found out he spent time in jail and he went by a fake name and used lots and lots of drugs. so i have hard knots on my throat. not painful. havn't gone away for a really long time. right above where an adams apple would be. a few days ago i got a painful knot on my lower back... lumbar region. im pretty much convinced they are lymph nodes that are hardened. i dont have thrush. not too tired. im sure you are just going to say get tested. i know i need to just be tested but im scared that i wont get help from my insurance, or i will be dropped. i havn't had health insurance in years so i really dont want to loose it. i live in nc. have bcbs. also i dont know where i can go to get tested. i want to make sure that i can get treatment covered. i am trying to put myself through business school. i was raped 4 years ago.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You were tested for everything but HIV, because that test was too expensive? What??? HIV testing is not expensive. In fact it can be obtained free at many STD clinics! (Sorry, I don't buy the "too expensive" excuse!)

You're absolutely correct. I am going to tell you to get tested! Good guess! Actually there is absolutely no other way to determine if you're HIV positive or not. I certainly understand your being afraid to get tested. Everyone is. As for your fears that your insurance company will drop you, this hopefully will be outlawed when we have health care reform. It's an absolutely immoral and unconscionable act. I'm sure there is a special place in hell reserved for insurance adjusters who drop clients when they're sick! If you're really worried about this, you could get an anonymous HIV home test using the FDA-approved Home Access Express Test, which can be purchased in any pharmacy or online.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can we hope for a curative HIV vaccine? (VACCINE TRIALS, 2009)
Next
Amsterdam Risky Good Times

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.