Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV 2 Down Under
Sep 24, 2009

G'day Doc

I live in Australia and here the govt says a 6 week test is conclusive, which I know differs from the US. I had unprotected vaginal sex 8 weeks ago and two weeks after, developed swollen glands and oral candasis. I got scared and took a rapid Oraquick HIV 1/2 test at 4, 6, and 8 weeks which were all negative. The women is European and I have heard and read that HIV 2 is prevelant there. I have read in the archives that the vast, vast majority of people will have detectable anti bodies by six weeks but does this also hold true for HIV 2? Is the Oraquick test just as reliable and accurate as the standard EIA blood test? I still have the symptoms mentioned above, so shouldnt I have shown up on a test if I really was infected by now? Are my symptoms now out to 8 weeks really mean that its HIV or could it be something else. Sorry for all the questions, but I am a little nervous. Thank you for what you do on here.

Aussie Nick

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Aussie Nick,

Responding to your specific questions:

1. Yes, the anti-HIV-2 antibody response occurs within the same timeframe as HIV-1.

2. Yes, OraQuick (with confirmatory testing if positive) is as reliable and accurate as the standard EIA.

3. "Symptoms" are unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Believe only your HIV test results!

Finally, I should mention HIV-2 is not prevalent in Europe. Rather, it is endemic in West Africa.

Relax mate. She'll be apples!

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV2 / Primary infection
Next
Sorry Dr. Bob, i meant Saline or saltwater not salt ware.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.