Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV2 / Primary infection
Sep 24, 2009

I m writing from France. As you, Doctor Robert, might know it, there is a trend here in France to say that the new HIV 1/2 assays 4th generation is so sensible that the results of tests are kind of definitive if done 6 weeks after the risk exposure. I took a risk on the last 31t july (got several Sexual intercourse with a prostitue in Colombia (pacific Coast where most of the people looks like African)..and I am very afraid of having caught HIV. Indeed I m still have a lot of symptoms, mostly cutaneous (red spot/ peeling skin on the palms, no fewer at all, but funny sensation of not being well, day and night, also a kind of burning sensation on the face. Before I got a sorethroat with bloody fluid discharge...

Well I did the test at 6 weeks and at 7 weeks, with HIV1 PCR, all of them are negative...But because of my symptoms I m sure that the stream of HIV i have is of the Type 2. Please advice me what to do next which test you suggest me to do, the doctors here assume that everything is right, and nothing else has to be dome despite I m feeling still so unwell...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I agree with your doctors: You are HIV-1 and HIV-2 negative! Please note the "new HIV-1/2 assay 4th generation" test you took tests for both HIV-1 and HIV-2 (that's what "HIV-1/2" stands for!). Your undetectable HIV PCR test just corroborates your HIV-negative status. Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: It's not HIV-1 or HIV-2! If you're feeling "unwell," follow up with your doctor, but remember, the cause is definitely not HIV related, OK?

Stop having unprotected sex and you won't have to worry about this type of problem in the future!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Response- "Our healthcare system is fair" post
Next
HIV 2 Down Under

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.