bloody splash on face

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am a health care provider and while putting up an i.v line on an HIV positive patient taking Combivir/Efavirenz, blood stained fluid form a giving set splashed in my face. i washed my face immediately and with in 1.5 hours i was started on PEP: Truvada/Alluvia.The drugs have treated me quite bad (Nausea and diahhroea). Please help me to answer my doughts 1. What is my risk of HIV epxposure? 2. Should i complete the full 28 day course of PEP or 2 weeks can do? 3. Will PEP be effective for me. Thank you very much in advance.

Health worker

These are questions you should be posting to the HIV physician specialist who is monitoring your case. He has much more information about your case than I do. For instance, I have no way of knowing whether the "bloody splash" came into contact with your open eyes or non-intact skin on your face. Other information, such as the source patient's HIV plasma viral load, would also be important. Consequently I'll be able to respond only hypothetically using incomplete information.

1) Your HIV-acquisition risk would be extremely low (assuming no contact with open eyes or non-intact skin).

2) If you were evaluated by an HIV specialist physician who felt a course of PEP was warranted, you should complete the full 28-day course. Two weeks of PEP is not recommended. If your current regimen is causing side effects or toxicities, your HIV specialist physician should consider modifying your regimen. Your nausea and diarrhea are most likely caused by the lopinavir/ritonavir (alluvia).

3) There is no way to anticipate if PEP will be effective or not. Even when appropriately prescribed and taken, PEP is not 100% effective. Yours truly is an excellent example of that!

Finally health worker, I want to remind you and our readers that all potential occupational HIV exposure should be reported, documented and evaluated by an HIV specialist physician. If you're not being followed by an HIV specialist physician during your course of PEP, I'd recommend you consult one. Also, I'd recommend you review the information about occupational HIV exposures and PEP in the archives of this forum.

still hope for you answer
Possible hiv risk