Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is dangerous to stay in a magnetic couple
Sep 16, 2009

hi doctor robert.i admire you a lot.my husbant is hiv + from march this year.i am non.i just had the test for the 6 months and is negative.i love him very much and we want to have a child and to continue our lives.do i live with the fear that he can die soon or that something can go wrong with his health.somebody told me that is not moral to born a child in such a couple.he is a doctor and he is hiv + from this year.he is doing well and he takes care about himself.thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's recent HIV diagnosis. It is indeed fortunate that you have remained HIV negative. A negative six-month test is conclusive. You should continue to use latex or polyurethane condoms for all penetrative sex. I would recommend both you and your husband review the information in the archives of this forum, particularly the chapters on magnetic couples, safer sexual techniques, HIV sexual transmission, HIV sexual prevention and pregnancy. Pay particular attention to the harm-reduction strategies suggested for magnetic couples.

The person who advised you it was not moral to consider pregnancy because of your husband's HIV-positive status is woefully misinformed. I would suggest you refer that person to this Web site (or any other legitimate science-based HIV information Web site) to learn the facts and help dispel the myths surrounding HIV/AIDS.

As for pregnancy, the safest method involves sperm washing and in vitro fertilization. You can read much more about this and other pregnancy options for magnetic couples in the archives.

You state you love your husband very much. I see absolutely no reason you should "live in fear" or change your plans for a long and happy life together. As you may or may not know, I too am part of a magnetic couple. Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos forum) is HIV negative and I am positively charged (so to speak). We've been together 16 years and counting. Our relationship remains loving, passionate, committed and sexually satisfying. "Happily ever after" does exist for HIVers and magnetic couples. We're living proof.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just thanks! (no question).
Next
Beffudled

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.