Can Flipped Out Whooo-Hooo Now?

Dr. Bob- Well, I did it-I got tested last Friday which would have made it 11 weeks and 3 days since ???exposure. I am sure you remember the eye rubbbing with tears. I know everyone said risk was non-existent and remote, but I got tested anyways. I know I cut it short by a few days, but I was so stressed. Well, I called my doctor today (Monday) and the test said nonreactive. The nurse and my husband(ophthalmologist) said I am O.K. Do you agree? You know I have to have your stamp and seal of approval before I believe anything. So, am I O.K. and can stop worrying. Do I need re-checked in 6 months? I surely hope not. This waiting just about drove me and everyone else to the looney bin.The test said: Test / Normal / Abnormal /Flag Ref.

>HIV-1/HIV-2/ NONREACTIVE / /NONREACTIVE Now, the test results do not say ELISA or what type of test it is. It just has the name of the hospital lab and the words*LIVE* Is all of this O.K.? Can I WHOOO-HOOOO or not? Yay or Ney? Dr. Bob, I think you are a wonderful, compassionate and genuinely kind person who does so much for everyone else and sometimes you don't get a thank you. Well, you helped me through these tough months and I appreciate it. Your exposure to hiv was an unfortunate and tragic incident. You were only doing your job and as a friend of mine has said: "In the medical field, you are asked to put your life on the line and you get no over-time pay for it". I am still seeing my psychologist to try to deal with my anxiety and paranoia. Thank you for suggesting it. I hope you will answer what I hope will be some of my final questions to you. Thank you for your time and attention to my concerns and questions. Another donation is on the way so you can keep doing all the good you do.

Hi Flipped!

Can you WOO-HOO! Absofrickinlutely! Of course this actually should come as no surprise, considering your "risk" was actually a "non-risk." However, there is no doubt HIV can induce irrational fears and phobias. Seeing your "nonreactive" test result should go a long way in calming your current worries. I agree you should continue seeing your psychiatrist to confront and hopefully conquer your underlying concerns about HIV. Phobias are actually quite common (see below). They are also amenable to treatment with psychotherapy (counseling).

Thank you for your kind words and your donation to The Robert James Frascino Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated.

So one last time, your HIV-negative test at 11 weeks and three days is definitive, conclusive and Dr. Bob-certified WOO-HOO-able! HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted.

Be well. Be happy.

omeone to talk to Sep 13, 2009

I relize i am crazy, one day while jacling off a guy touched my nut sack. with his hand, he was fully dressed and had not touched himself. I know i can not get HIV this way. However I can not let this go. do you know of some one us worried well folks can talk to about our fears?Thank you for all u do

You are absolutely correct your HIV acquisition risk is completely nonexistent. You are not crazy, but you do harbor irrational fears. You are not alone as you can see bye reviewing the impressive number of worried wells (and "x-filers") who visit and use this forum on a regular basis. And what you see here is, of course, only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak!

Irrational fears are certainly not limited to HIV. Many folks may harbor irrational fears of heights or flying or snakes or spiders or rabid rightwing wingnuts fomenting myths and lies about health care reform. Oh, OK, that last group really is scary, I must agree. But the others are common examples of totally unwarranted worries. How could an itsy bitsy, teeny weenie spider hurt a 200-pound man??? Yet some guys totally freak at the sight of a minuscule eight-legged creepy crawler! The best way to confront and conquer any type of phobia is to seek psychotherapy (counseling). Psychologists are usually well versed in how to treat these types of problems. Ask your general medical doctor for a referral. Recognizing you have a problem with irrational fears is half the battle.

Child's Casual Contact with HIV infected person
Just thanks! (no question).