Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should i continue therapy?
Sep 7, 2009

I had my first session with the therapist on Friday. She is a LMSC not a Psychologist. I don't know if that should matter. She was very easy to talk to but I don't think she knows very much about HIV. She does seem to know about anxiety, though. She recommended two books: From Panic to Power and Joel Osteen's book. I happen to like him to. I mentioned your site to her and also talked about PCR testing but she didn't know what the test was. I was trying to explain the difference between anti-HIV antibody tests vs. PCR which picks up the genetic material of the virus, etc. I also explained to her that I am very terrified that I could infect someone ,etc. I will go back to her but could you give me some ideas as to how to move the dialogue forward in terms of assessing her knowledge of HIV while at the same time helping me believe that I don't have anything. Thank you, Dr. Bob, I wish you were here to tell me that I am ok. I know, I am selfish because that's what everybody would like, I am sure. Thank you so much for everything that you do and have done for me already. I think this country needs to know who you are and you need a national platform where you can explain to everybody about this disease and the different types of tests available and what they each look for, etc. May be being on Oprah or Larry King Live....

Be well and thank you for all your help once again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The only way to assess your therapist's knowledge about HIV/AIDS is to directly ask her about it. However, it's important to point out that you are seeing a psychotherapist primarily to help you cope with your anxiety. She doesn't need extensive medical knowledge to help you overcome irrational fears or accept overwhelming and irrefutable evidence regarding your HIV serostatus.

As for Oprah or Larry, I'd prefer Oprah or maybe John Stewart or event Stephen Colbert!?!? I'll let you know if they call. In the meantime, good luck with your therapy sessions.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How are you and your partner dealing with upcoming swine flu?
Next
This is a THANK YOU for the outstanding work you're doing on for this forum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.