Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Transmission question - Searched past post and couldn't find - Will donate!
Sep 7, 2009

Hi!

While at work, my boss and I were pulling tile off of a pool and she cut herself, not realizing it, I touched her wet blood and it got on my hand after I touched the same tile or something else she touched (I really don't know how I got it on me).

I have a lot of cuts and scratches on my hands because of dry skin/hang nails, is it possible if I scratched/punctionered (did I spell that right?) myself with that tile to become infected with HIV?

Or if I touched her blood with one of my cuts/scratches, if I would become infected?

Is it possible to become infected from razor blades and tooth brushes?

Is my case considered a causal contact?

OMG, the questions, keep pouring! Please help before I ask you to explain why the sky is blue and the grass is green!

I really am finding that I don't know that much about HIV (clearly by my questions I'm sure you see that, so any help will be great). Once I hear back I will donate to your foundation - it really is a great cause.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your worries are largely unwarranted. It is true that HIV can be transmitted by direct blood-to-blood contact. However, the chance that your boss is HIV positive and that you managed to get an adequate amount of fresh HIV-tainted blood into your system via dry skin, hangnails or various cuts and scratches is so remote it's essentially nonexistent.

We recommend not sharing razor blades and/or toothbrushes with HIV-positive folks to avoid fresh HIV-tainted blood coming into contact with open wounds, non-intact skin, or mucous membranes.

The sky is blue and the grass, green, because we were able to kick George Bush and the Republicans out of office after eight years. Had they stayed longer the sky would be soot black and the grass would be dead. But this has nothing to do with HIV.

To find out more about exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted, review the extensive information in the archives of this forum where you will find entire chapters devoted to HIV non-sexual transmission, HIV non-sexual transmission and a host of other related topics along with all the usual sex and safer sex information. Check it out!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. If my reassurance isn't enough for you to shake your fears, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative. But if it helps put your residual worries permanently to rest, it may be worth the time and effort psychologically.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thank's Doctor.. u had saved me! (PANTIES 2009)
Next
How are you and your partner dealing with upcoming swine flu?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.