Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confused
Sep 6, 2009

Dear nelson, i found you are the best one among others who elaborate the condition that can happen in future. I really love to read your logical and straight answers to those living with anxiety. 5 and half month before i had unprotected oral sex (only) with a gal whom i was dating( hiv status unknown)since mid 2008. After 5 and half month(last oral exposer) i was in regular blood check up. The elisa came positive with western blot indeterminant with light p24 band and pcr rna was done , which came undetectable. I heard oral is a low risk exposer. By the way i was feeling very guilty if i had infected to my lovely wife too but yesterday she got negative result. It is a very good signal for me. My doctor doubt that i could be in seroconversion stage even i told fact about my exposer. So Mr. nelson you are my only hope to get straight answer please. My questions are: 1. Am i in sero conversion stage (after 5 and half month)? 2. Does undetectable virus in pcr rna indicate good signal that i m negative? 3. After certain period can the elisa and western blot fall back to negative? 4. Does p24 light band in wb means anything? 5. Do i need to do any further testing? I would highly appreciate your any kind of response and will be waiting for it. My wife is also expecting high from you. Please help us please

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Mr. Vergel forwarded your question to me.

It's interesting to note that you find us both to be "the best one among others who elaborate the condition that can happen in future" (whatever that means). Why submit your identical question, including its identical thinly veiled compliments, to multiple experts? Did you think you would get different answers?

My original response is reposted below. The answers have not changed. And now that you've gotten two responses, don't you think it's only fair that we experts focus our attention on those questioners still waiting for their first response? So, no more duplicate questions to multiple experts, OK?

Dr. Bob

my wife and my life in your hand doctor bob Aug 23, 2009

Dear doctor bob, i found you are the best one among others who elaborate the condition that can happen in future. I really love to read your logical and straight answers to those living with anxiety. 5 and half month before i had unprotected oral sex (only) with a gal whom i was dating( hiv status unknown)since mid 2008. After 5 and half month(last oral exposer) i was in regular blood check up. The elisa came positive with western blot indeterminant with light p24 band and pcr rna was done , which came undetectable. I heard oral is a low risk exposer. By the way i was feeling very guilty if i had infected to my lovely wife too but yesterday she got negative result. It is a very good signal for me. My doctor doubt that i could be in seroconversion stage even i told fact about my exposer. So doctor bob you are my only hope to get straight answer please. My questions are: 1. Am i in sero conversion stage (after 5 and half month)? 2. Does undetectable virus in pcr rna indicate good signal that i m negative? 3. After certain period can the elisa and western blot fall back to negative? 4. Does p24 light band in wb means anything? 5. Do i need to do any further testing?

I would highly appreciate your any kind of response and will be waiting for it. My wife is also expecting high from you doctor bob. Please help us please

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. It's possible. Please note a positive ELISA plus an indeterminate Western Blot test is not considered a "Positive HIV Test." Rather, it is considered an "Indeterminate Test." Sometimes HIV-antibody tests remain indeterminate for a variety of reasons, even though the person is HIV negative.

4. Not really.

5. No. I would consider you HIV negative.

Regards to both you and your wife.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
antidepressants effect on muscle?
Next
HIV +, EXERCISE AND DEPRESSION

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.