Protected Oral Sex

Hey doctor Bob this great forum and you do great work.

I have read through the forum and I have read there is no HIV risk from protected oral sex. Is this correct? I would assume there are failure rates from condoms even in this case. Are there any studies on infections from protected oral sex?

The reason I ask is I recently had protected oral sex both receptive and insertive with no ejaculation and some open mouth kissing with someone I consider to be of unknown HIV status. I went to my doctor 48 hours later and she gave a me full STD panel which came back negtive for everything including some DNA test for HIV. She said that this was to establish a baseline. My question is it is now been four weeks I should I go back at the 6 week mark for addtional testing or at the 3 month mark or am I stressing over nothing here.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Protected sex (oral, anal or vaginal) is indeed "protected," assuming the latex or polyurethane condom was used properly and did not break. HIV and other STDs cannot pass through intact latex or polyurethane. No way. No how.

If a condom fails (breaks), the activity is no longer "protected" and the HIV-transmission risk is essentially the same as unprotected sex.

I must also stress that for protection, condoms must be used "properly." You can read much more about the proper use of condoms in the archives.

Your recent episode of protected oral sex would not be considered as HIV/STD risk, assuming the latex or polyurethane condom was indeed used properly and did not fail. HIV and STD testing would not be warranted. In particular I disagree with your doctor's decision to get an HIV DNA PCR test. I see no reason for additional HIV testing. If your doctor is recommending this, I'd suggest you find a more competent and reasonable doctor!

Be well. Stay well. Stop worrying.

My terrible incident
losing myself (HPV and HIV, 2009)