new couple in trouble

Dear Dr Robert I am a male medical student and one who aspires to become like you...a great doctor that contributes a lot to the society... Recently I have met a man and I think he is THE ONE... we've been a couple a few month and recently he took a HIV test which he never had before...it turns out he is HIV positive...with my medical background, the news was not something that brings negativity in our relationship though i feel so sad that he has to face all the troubles that the virus can cause...i vow to be there for him all the time

I am HIV negative and though i am learning medicine, they didn't teach much about what are the risks for a HIV negative (top) to have unprotected anal intercourse with a HIV positive (bottom)... please advice

3rd med student in love

Hello 3rd Year Med. Stud.,

Hopefully your final two years in medical school will rectify any deficiencies in the curriculum pertaining to HIV/AIDS. Don't be shy about speaking up and requesting information on HIV during your training. As a physician you will be one of the primary sources of information about HIV/AIDS for your patients and your community.

HIV/AIDS has now also become an important topic in your personal life. I would suggest you spend time carefully reviewing the wealth of information on this site, in its archives and on the related links pertaining to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. For instance this forum has entire chapters devoted to magnetic couples (one poz, one neggie), HIV sexual prevention, HIV sexual transmission, oral sex, safer sexual techniques and a host of other related topics. Check them out!

As for your specific question related to the risk of unprotected anal sex, the CDC estimated the per-act statistical risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures.

Good luck with your new positively-charged Mr. Happily-Ever-After.

i scratched my balls, so afraid...
Eager for Beaver!!! (I love u Dr.Bob for real.)