Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

herpes 6

Sep 5, 2009

Went to the doc today to get blood work results... the reason i went to the doc was i was having all kinds of issues with my ears,(ringing, pressure, ect..) so took blood work... i know i have been having a problem with my lymph-nodes for quite sometime now but never understood why since i was tested for all diseases and things plenty of times and even donated blood not to long ago and they took it, so thought everything was fine.... well all results came back messed up white blood cells where raised and lipids and everything too showing signs of an infection... HIV came back undetected..and herpes 1 &2 as well undetected and hep. as well undetected..... but herpes virus 6 came back saying 1:40H past infection what does this mean the paper says it affects my t lymph's... and the doctor told me people with hiv mostly acquire this... so how do i have it if i tested neg. for hiv should i get a different test than the elsa or and how do i treat this herpes 6 and is it contagious is it like an std please doc help this is got me super worried man .... i have been with the same girl for 8 months don't want to give this to her should she be concerned? have donated before and will of course be happy to do so again thanks doc

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Human herpes virus 6 (HHV-6) infection is extremely common and is often asymptomatic. Symptomatic HHV-6 manifestations occur predominantly in infants and after either primary or reactivation disease in immunocompromised adults. HHV-6 infection is ubiquitous worldwide with greater than 90% seropositivity (showing evidence of past infection on laboratory tests) reported in children older than two years. Your lab results reveal you are part of the 90% of the population older than two years who has had HHV-6 in the past. It does not indicate a recent infection or reactivation of an old infection. Your test result would not account for your current symptoms.

Regarding your HIV serostatus, if your ELISA was negative three months or longer after your most recent potential HIV exposure, it can be considered definitive.

Thank you for your support of the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Bob

Previous
Scared!
Next
i scratched my balls, so afraid...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.