Am I at serious risk?

Hi

I was doing some research on the internet and I was wondering if I could please ask you some questions. I am very afraid that I have been recently infected with HIV. Ten days ago i was performing anal sex on a man while on holidays when the condom ripped. however, I did not notice this for some time. I dont mean to sound in any way racist or prejudiced but the fact that he was gay, black and from South Africa makes me beleive that there is a very high chance he could be infected. I can't stop thinking about it. I keep trying to rationalise in my head that someone who can afford a holiday in thailand is unlikely to have the virus but i know that makes no sense. I asked my GP about a test and he said i would have to wait 6 weeks or risk a false negative. Basically, Im really freaking out and was wondering if you could tell me the likelihood of contracting the virus when performing anal, rather than receiving. I havent been able to eat or sleep the last few days cos im constantly panicing and freaking out and i would really appreciate any information you might have.

thanks

Condom failure does put you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. The CDC estimates that the per-episode risk of acquiring HIV from unprotected (or broken-condom) insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated statistical risk would be less, because we don't know the HIV status of your bottom boy.

Regarding HIV-antibody testing, I would recommend you wait until the three-month mark for a definitive result.

For additional reassurance and information, peruse the archives of this forum.

Good luck! I'm here if you need me, OK?

thank you doctor
hiv transmission risk-re submitted from fatigue and anemia forum